View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 02:43 AM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

All exhaust from hyrdocarbon fueled engines contains pollutants. I wasn't debating that... I was questioning your concern about children chewing on the innards of a cat versus inhaling a pack of cigarettes worth of carbon monoxide with the bonus unspent hydrocarbons in a couple days of driving around on errands with mom in the minivan.

As for that essay, do you have anything with actual citations? Not too surprising that a kid's essay (hich school) refers only to its own text in the citations. Can't seem to find if that school is still around either, seems they gave up on the internet in 2004, a LOT has been learned since then. Post up some more recent material on the matter if you can find some. The EPA study in question would be cool.

Cat's aren't all good but they aren't all evil... There is a lot of effort put into ensuring that the proper mixtures are maintained.... just because that gets thrown out the window when some redneck pulls sensors for mo powah (sensors which aren't even monitored at high output) and because my sister can't be bothered to find out why the check engine light has been on for FOUR YEARS it doesn't mean the controls are a wasted effort and it definitely doesn't mean that the worst case scenario being discussed here is happening in every car across the planet. A LOT has been done to control these things (ever wonder why the Cali spec MKIII had another OX sensor AFTER the cat? ). The people building these devices and vehicles are less ignorant than you seem to want to believe... they generally do have a clue and fortunately they usually have enough backbone to not bend entirely under the pressure of politicians with pockets heavy with special interest cash.

EDIT: I'm not ragging on the essay because it was written by someone in high school.... or 7 years or more ago.... I'm just pointing out that if the EPA is working on such a critical study and it's public enough to have made it to an Irish school kid (or possibly a teacher there) that it should be published by now (at least an initial findings) so let's get to the meat. And I really was curious as to the history of the school... I'd like to know more about the author.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 10-27-2010 at 02:47 AM.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote