View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylej View Post
The Gentlemens agreement is an agreement made that all vehicles leave country would be de-tuned from the 326 hp and 318 torque to 276 hp and I'm not sure about the torque. Atleast being imported to Canada that is how it is. As for the ceramic turbo's I don't think they are smaller, just made differently? I know importing a jdm supra they run less boost (turned down), are majorly limited by exhaust, smaller cam intake may be true. I think this is how they limit the power, not through an actual ECU detune or anything. Like vw I know can be chipped taking off factory limiters adding power but I think importing a mk4 supra the boost is just turned down and the exhaust limits everything, as well as the small 440cc injectors compared to the usdm 550cc injectors.
You may be correct about the size of the Japanese spec oem Mkiv Supra twin turbos. However, the ceramic turbine is less rugged when it comes to handling higher boost levels.

Note that it's very easy to crank up the boost:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/clamp_mod/_clamp.jpg
...just be sure you have a boost gauge, and enough octane in your fuel (i.e. add race fuel) to match the boost level.

I agree the smaller Japanese-spec downpipe also limits performance vs. the US-spec Mkiv Supra TT.

Regarding the "gentleman's agreement", who asked for it...and who did he/she ask? Did Akio Toyoda shake hands with Stephen Harper?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 10-23-2010 at 02:09 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote