View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 06:05 AM   #1
cfurlan
Intake

cfurlan is on a distinguished road
Default 7mgte overheated after thermostat installed...bhg

Well I just bought the car two days ago and the person had paperwork for the engine stating it was rebuilt with je pistons, arp studs, mhg, and the head was machined and had a 3 angle valve job. I thought it was a good deal since it only had 700 miles on the engine. I then drove it 200 miles home with no problems. I noticed there was a coolant leak around the thermostat housing so I took it apart and there was no rtv or thermostat just metal to metal. So then I replaced it with one from autozone. Then yesterday I took it on a 20 min drive and it started to overheat. I immediately shut it off. I then limped it home. There was no coolant in the engine or radiator at all after it overheated. The rear off the engine was smoking a little and i notice oil leaking from between the engine and transmission, rear main? Idk. I'm tearing the engine out in the morning but this is my first toyota engine. If anyone has any pointers or suggestions to look at please let me know. I plan on just replacing all the gaskets and maybe the rod bearings. Does anyone know a good guide with pictures on a tear down beside haynes or TSRM? Also would it be a bad idea to just replace the metal head gasket with a felpro type gasket? I don't want to have to have it re-machined and try to guess what size I'd need. I'm not planning on going over 300 hp or 12 psi. Thanks
cfurlan is offline   Reply With Quote