View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 04:19 AM   #6
Cameroonski
3" Exhaust

Cameroonski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandavi View Post
750.00 gets me a 7MGTE with the Turbo. (that's delivered cost). I cannot do a head gasket repair that cheaply.
Mind you.. having said that.. who knows whats gonna happen with the replacement.. lol

As for subpar turbo.. I wouldn't call the CT26 subpar. it is adequate and does its job nicely. A stock turbo is still a little speed demon. Most of us want more HP simply because we can... on the street.. using a 450 HP Supra for tooling around in is only different in that you can get higher tickets much better.
You can get a complete gasket set, and pistons and rings for less then 300 dollars on ebay... that was just a quick search and i wont be buying it from ebay but its going to be a hell of a lot cheaper then 750.

The difference between n/a and turbo on the first couple years was only about 30 or 40 hp... and given if i buy a stock honda turbo for $100 it wont give me anything amazing, but it does not make since to me to trade what i have for a 7mgte. I may gain some hp, but it is not worth it, and there are other ways to get the same result with what i have for cheaper.

it seems to me like a stock rebuild would be best... and then gear up my differential for some added torque. Top speed isnt important for a street car, and acceleration is fun. my gas mileage will go down, but o well.
Cameroonski is offline   Reply With Quote