View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
kstewartnd
Stock

kstewartnd is on a distinguished road
Default Thermal Fan Clutch - 89 Turbo Supra

All - replaced OEM fan clutch with Hayden aftermarket (thermal) clutch with new water pump replacement in mid-summer. Car was running hot previously (especially when A/C was engaged). Definitely noticed change at start-up (roar of air for 30-45 secs until fan disengaged) and fan offers resistance to turning when cold. Thought that I had taken care of problem.

However - without A/C on, all auxiliary fans are still coming on (when water temp needle in the middle - 190F to 200F). 65F yesterday outside temp and aux fans still came on. Checked fan clutch immediately after shutting off engine a number of times yesterday and today (at temperature when auxiliary fans were on) and fan clutch spins freely - 1-1/2 times - with little if any resistance.

Question - should I buy another/better clutch fan and replace (just assume that Hayden's thermal sensor is defective since it won't engage - not sure how common this is) - or should I replace the temp gauges/sensors at the thermostat housing because the fans are obviously engaging at an incorrect temp? Checked radiator temp with multimeter and it read 190F at the top inlet - hence, I'm leaning toward a bad (new) clutch fan.
kstewartnd is offline   Reply With Quote