View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 03:25 AM   #3
Jackalope501
Stock

Jackalope501 is on a distinguished road
Default Detailing products and uses

Let’s start things off from scratch with the products that work best…sort of Detailing 101. I know most people don’t have access to a detail supply warehouse for professional grade products, so we’ll stick to things you can find at your local auto parts store or Walmart. If you know what you’re looking for, you can still get outstanding results without going broke to do it. Let’s begin with our first product, Castrol Super Clean.

This is what it looks like for those who don't know. For general detail cleaning, I buy this by the gallon and cut it 50/50 with water in quart-sized spray bottles.

Pros:
Works as well as higher priced degreasers for about $7.00-8.00 per gallon
Readily available, check your walmart vs parts stores for best price.
Cons:
It’s a degreaser, so it’s caustic. Don’t leave it on polished aluminum surfaces for extended periods of time, and keep it off your finished body paint.

Step 1. Pre-wash:
Take your spray bottle with you to your local self serve carwash. (unless you have a power washer) Spray wheels, tires, and fenderwells just enough to get them wet. Set the wand to soap, and clean them all. You’ll be surprised how much crap you can get out of fenderwells, so don’t be afraid to get in there. After cleaning them all set the wand to rinse and repeat the process, making sure to thoroughly rinse the surrounding body panels as you don’t want degreaser left on them.
If you’re cleaning the engine compartment, hit that as well, but make sure to leave the engine running. Nothing worse than drowning the car so it won’t start. That said, don’t spray anymore around ignition components or air intakes than you have to.

Can't bring up wheels and tires without touching on wheel acid. Plenty of brands out there, basically all about the same. I've always used pro grade products for this, cut 50/50 with water. If you have alloy wheels be very very careful using these products. You can ruin a set of expensive wheels in less than a minute's time...I'm not kidding. Wet the wheel (work one at a time) and spray it evenly, do a normal paced 10 count, then rinse thoroughly. Repeat as needed.

Step 2. Hand Washing:
Hand washing is the best way to clean your car, while doing the least amount of paint damage. Those “no touch” car washes are simply relying on a higher concentrate of butyl chemicals in the soap mix to eat the road film and dirt off your car, and it’s taking the wax with it.
This brings us to product number 2. Blue Coral Wash Soap

Here's your reference photo...

There are dozens of wash soaps available, and Blue Coral is one of the best. Maguiar's is also good. The butyl chemicals are not too harsh, and there are no bullshit additives you don’t need. (polymer or silicon wax) It has a good foaming agent, and rinse agent…so it’s easy to get off when you put the hose to it.
Put just enough wash soap in the bucket to cover the bottom, and fill it with water. Using a sheepskin wash mitt will do the best job of washing the car, while taking off the least amount of wax. Start in the same place on the car every time and move in the same direction…I personally start at the left rear body panel and go clockwise. This keeps you from missing spots that you’ll have to come back to. Wet the car first, then start washing. Keep your mitt wet and keep it moving…don’t be stingy with the soap and water, since you ARE trying to clean it. Move with the body lines of the car, and overlap your strokes twice. Yes, I realize it sounds like a bit much, but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard, “I know how to wash a car” and they never get it clean. Using these methods, I can wash over 25 cars an hour and never skip anything.

Step 3. Drying:
If you use a chamois to dry, buy the artificial variety. The natural chamois will mildew and rot, and it also strips more wax off. Personally, I use a leaf blower. It’s not only faster than a rubdown, but it also gets water out of rear view mirrors and trim mouldings where it likes to linger.

Next post, we'll take the car in the shop and get to work on the exterior...
Any questions, let me know

Last edited by Jackalope501; 09-28-2010 at 03:38 AM.
Jackalope501 is offline   Reply With Quote