View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 02:51 AM   #6
Bradley1234
Stock

Bradley1234 is on a distinguished road
Default Windows and Door locks do not work

Ive got a 1985 Supra, and while the passenger door panel was off for another reason, the connector got smashed when someone closed the door, it made an odd sound, then the windows and doorlocks did not work.

I traced it to a CB circuit breaker on the drivers fuse panel, took it out and it was reading open. it wouldnt reset so i made it make contact again, inserted it thinking "all done". still no windows/door locks. either drivers or pass side.

i checked other fuses, but none were bad and none seemed to pertain to this; the fusible links under the hood look ok.

Came here and read about how maybe the switches had corrosion? trying to take the drivers side switches out, the top panel cracked (very dried out), got the switches out but that assembly cracked where a screw holds it down. thought wow this is not going good. the door lock switch when taken out had a good ohm reading one way but 70-90ohms the other.

the window switches are all together in an assembly. Im expert at taking apart and fixing small mechanical assemblies including optics/electrooptics. these switches were not made to be taken apart. putting pressure on the plastic they broke apart like fresh crackers, small piece hitting me in the eyelid; and what a hippocrite I am, telling others to always wear safety glasses...

the way to disassemble the switch itself is to push out the pin the lever hinges on. nope, its so old it broke apart. the contacts inside were fine.

after ruining my door panel switches completely I got the meter out, 0V at all the wires (key in the ON position, check engine light ON). oh... wish i had done THAT first...

tested at the CB that has the top of it missing? 11.75V took it out and measured again, 0 ohms. but the power aint making it to the window switches.

the passenger door, i had carefully put the wires back into the connector and attached the door panel, didnt work; took the connector off, same.

Does anyone know of replacement switches for the drivers side controls? Or know of what the problem is/what component to look at?
Bradley1234 is offline   Reply With Quote