View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #20
unkymurch
Stock

unkymurch is on a distinguished road
Default Reply to Chemistry question

I don't know the chemistry behind Thermagasket. It would be best to contact them directly.

There is a two part liquid component that is poured into the radiator. There are no solid components.

My first installation held 2-3 years and would have continued to hold except that I had a later heater core leak that caused another overheating problem and caused the gasket seal to blow out again. Unless you diagnose and fix the other mechanical issues such as bad radiator caps, leaking hoses, leaking heat cores, leaking water pumps, etc. you'll always get an overheating problem and blow the gasket seal again.

Fortunately, I had the half of the remaining components (since I only used half the amount for the first installation) and reapplied the compounds just like the original installation and just like the first time, IT WORKED!!!!

After having run the car 2-3 years after the first head gasket issue, I felt I was putting too much money into a dead horse and didn't want to fuss with replacing or repairing the heater core, so I scraped the car. If it was something other than the heater core and I hadn't started a new job and needed transportation immediately, I might have tinkered around and done something different, but that was the decision at the time.

Unkymurch