View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 04:12 AM   #7
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

Whew, never thought that trying to find a decent comparison of wire construction would be so difficult...

I did find some halfway decent info about some ACCEL wires from their website, but most of their wires are all spiral-wound construction and don't differ much, if any. I did read on a couple of forums that the "Ohm resistance check" for plug wires doesn't have any real world use. This is supposedly because the voltage during this test is using 1 Volt Direct Current (DC), and DC voltage finds the path with least resistance traveling through the wire. Apparently ignition systems produce Alternating Current (AC) from the coil, and AC current travels around the wire instead of through it. Therefore lower resistance through the wire doesn't matter as much as a lower resistance on the outermost wire. Keep in mind I'm not an electrician, so I'm not sure how true that statement is. In any case, still haven't found any wires, so I'm still working on that part...

I may have found a coil, thinking of using the ACCEL Ultra Coil by Jacobs, found here. It seems most aftermarket ignition coils run in about the 40,000 volt range, and this one's rated at 55,000 volts. Anyone have an idea of what the factory coil's output voltage is rated at? I'd like to have something to compare to while looking up coils...

And if I didn't state earlier I'll be using Genuine Toyota cap and rotor.

As for the plugs, I'll experiment around with NGK's, starting with the factory resistor plugs. I'll probably play with heat ranges and composition (platinum, double platinum). May even try the E3's, although I'm not sure how the engine would like little flamethrowers in the combustion chamber (especially with higher voltage and current).

For those reading this and want to know, my goal after I have accumulated enough money for the rebuild is to run a de-stroked, .020 over, high compression N/A 7M in a substantially lightened Supra hard-top. There will be alot more mods to go with the ignition system, including an ecu (not sure on standalone or piggyback), but I intend to run this ignition system on the stock engine for now for a mild performance gain. I believe it will have a much greater effect down the road on my build.

EDIT: Just spent quite some time over at supramania reading Aaron's "5M Crank in a 7M" build thread regarding a de-stroked 7M... Lots of good info there, looks like running a modded 7M crank is the way to go instead of the 5M crank with extended snout. Not sure how I'll go about piston rods though since his build was for a boosted 7M and I'm goin N/A. Anyway, that's all I'll say in this post since the thread is about a performance cap / rotor with some ignition system info.
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels

Last edited by btwilson86; 07-31-2010 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Even more info!
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote