View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 02:47 AM   #14
batmmannn
12psi boost

batmmannn is on a distinguished road
Default Squirters

Mine has squirters!.... yeah I know.... "so what"

here is some info I found:

MKIII Supra LSD and gear ratio information. OK. i have pics to back this up, but no way to get them on the computer as my compact flash reader died, so here is a brief over view which will be followed by a complete how to with pics when i get them up loaded.

The MKIII supra has an 8 inch differential that is identical internally to the is300. to be honest, you can use the cover plate off of the mkiii on a stock IS diff. the holes line up. inside, the metal fins are the same, the gears are the same size, albeit different ratio's, and the lsd will swap right in.

In an MKIII supra, the 86-89's have a clutch type LSD, where as the 90-92's have a torsen type. the clutch type is a true 1.5 way lsd, and is stronger and more consistent than the torsen type. this is desirable obviously, and since the IS came with a weak ass torsen, which from what i've heard first hand blows for drifting or any kind of sliding whatsoever, this is a good upgrade.

another perk, as if getting a sweet ass clutch type lsd isn't enough, is that if your like me and you drive an N/A IS, your tired of being slow as balls. Guess what....the Supra diff you just bought for the lsd, has a very nice set of 4.10:1 or 4.30:1 ring and pinion gears. add to this new found gear ratio knowledge your now pre-existing knowledge that the internal cases are identical, and now you've figured out that instead of your low 3.7-3.9:1 gearing, you can give your stock ass IS some balls and hang with a slightly faster crowd if you just swap in the sweet ass 4.3 gears from a supra.

Now, i have done this swap in my own car. then the next day i went on a crazy all day mountain adventure where i drove my car harder than i ever have before. the lsd performed, silently, and flawlessly. the gear ratio allowed me to keep up with the g35 and the other IS that were leading, and when down shiftng, i could feel both wheels keeping traction and allowing me to stop faster. the higher gearing is amazing. my top speed is down a bit, my mpg's are down a tad, but all in all the get up and go made it all worth it. unofficially, I am almost certain that my car, which has only a 3 inch straight pipe catback, and this gear mod, is faster than several other cars boasting much higher performance figures and manual transmissions. all in all, it cost me 46$, Take that 5-700$ IHE.
_______

batmmannn is offline   Reply With Quote