View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 02:31 AM   #33
batmmannn
12psi boost

batmmannn is on a distinguished road
Default Grandmas car

Thats my point, sell your car and buy one already done for 6K or less. I drive mine hard, no leaks, no oil leaks. All I had to do was change the front crank seal and valve cover gaskets to stop my leaks. Granted mine is a non Turbo, but still if your car is so far gone unload it and find another.

My car has the same radiator hoses, all of them that it had on it 7 years ago. If they break I will replace them. I have red lined it, spit gravel, burned some runner and gotten dirty looks from people already. Last night I got cussed out at at a local convenience store for making a rocket entry into a parking lot.

My opinion is, if you want to make it like new then you are going to pay for it in time and money doing it yourself to an extreme or you can buy a western car with all the mods done for less than your time and money would be worth.

If it's a labor of love then you love playing with your car and making it exactly what you want, then the love makes it worth the money and time, though I can understand how a break down or blow up from a Turbos stress on an older car might make someone issue warnings or be regretful they took on the project.

I Like my Non Turbo cause it is basic good Toyota engineering and I know little to nothing about Turbos so I concede to you completely as I don't know the costs.

However, I will say this. I am having a replica 1966 Batmobile built in CA, It is being built on a stretched 85 C4 Corvette. I purchased the Corvette in CA because of the low rust issues.

If I wanted a nice Turbo MK3, I would look in CA or one of the dry states and pay the extra 4K.

Toyotaman on this forum has a 89 near MINT garaged MK3 N/A for 3K for sale. A beautiful car. No rust, no damage to speak of, a real sweet ride. I can't imagine there aren't beautiful Turbos out there for twice the price.

Now sure if you guys are building boost, horsepower, going beyond factory specs with after market parts, add ons, mixing components from different sources, recalibrating factory settings, your taking chances. It's a gamble is it not? If you are not following manufacturer specs and recommendations then you are in essence tossing the dice.

Thats not a reflection on the MK3 or Toyota as I see it. Cre has posted that there have been horror stories from people listening to bad advice when overbuilding beyond factory specs. To my thinking, this hobby or labor of love in getting the most out of your Turbo and being creative with it and pushing it to it's limits is where the money drain comes in.

It's like NASA tells us, "space travel" is expensive. Am I wrong?

Last edited by batmmannn; 06-22-2010 at 02:42 AM.
batmmannn is offline   Reply With Quote