View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 05:06 AM   #1
batmmannn
12psi boost

batmmannn is on a distinguished road
Default 5% SALES TAX?????? Back Property taxes for Supra Tags

OK well I thought I would post this as hypothetical for obvious reasons. Here is the scenerio.

You buy your 5 spd Supra, it runs good, but you already have a Supra Automatic that runs good. The 5spd Supra you bought has a bad starter so you park it start it every now and again, look at it in the driveway and make several attempts yourself to change the starter but you just can't make the swap because the damn thing is impossible to reach.

You drive other cars, get busy with life, always wanting to get it fixed....."someday soon"

You only paid $1000 for the car in 2002. Before you know it. It is 2010 and the car is still that project you always wanted to get to.

Finally you find time to get at it and with the help of this forum and good people you get the stinking starter swapped after hours and scrapes.

You get it running and then the timing belt goes, but only strips not breaks so you diagnose everything else but the timing belt cause you can see it turning the cam lobes through the oil cap. Finally you find the stripped belt and you make many repairs including a stripped spark plug with helicoil.

You get your car property tax paid, get your insurance, dig out your original hand signed bill of sale from 2002 and get excited to finally have a 5 speed Supra to flash around.

You go to DMV and they look at your Bill of sale that says $400.00 cause the guy you bought it from was a nice guy and wanted to save you some money and they tell you this is not notarized so we have to charge you 5% sales tax on the blue book of the car. The woman has a pained look on her face and says it's an 88 I don't understand why the blue book value is $2800.00 but I can't change anything for you. You must find the seller and get him to notarize the bill of sale and then pay back 8 years of back property taxes for this car and penalties.

You look at her in disbelief cause the sales tax alone is $140.00 not to mention the back taxes so you would be looking at a lot of money just to get it tagged. Probably $400 or more in back property tax. SO about $600 to get your tags for a 23 year old car.

What do you do?

Remember this is written as hypothetical.....

Last edited by batmmannn; 06-10-2010 at 05:18 AM.
batmmannn is offline   Reply With Quote