View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
Bru
Bone Stock w Upgrades ;-)

Bru is on a distinguished road

The more through way would be to draw out as much as possible from the reservoir while
moving the hose around to get as much of the crud that settles on the mesh screen inside. Then disconnect the low pressure return hose (the easy one) at the rack and connect at piece of hose to act as a drain in to a pan/jar/bucket. With the engine off and steering unlocked and the front wheels jacked up, push the wheels side to side slowly to pump out the old fluid or have someone turn the steering wheel. If you want you can blow what’s in the return lineup to the reservoir or draw it out using the baster or a large syringe. This would be a good time to replace any hoses. I used automatic transmission hose for the low pressure connections. Now add fresh fluid to the reservoir and move the wheels as before but don't run the reservoir dry. When the fluid looks clean from the rack, reconnect the hose and do a few more wheel turns. Start the engine and do a few lock to lock steering wheel turns. Check the cold level in the reservoir. Add or remove fluid as necessary.

Note: I had to do this twice because the new fluid made my old high pressure hose go bad and leak. Mabie it was just a coincidence.

Last edited by Bru; 06-06-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Bru is offline   Reply With Quote