View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 01:59 AM   #7
batmmannn
12psi boost

batmmannn is on a distinguished road
Default POP THAT PULLEY Harmonic Blancer Bolt Removal

Hello everyone. I thought I would post this because I saw one or two members advising to remove the starter and edge a piece of wood in the flywheel gears to hold the engine while you break the Harmonic Balancer Bolt or as I call it the crank pulley bolt.

Since so many people new to mechanics come here I thought I would film this technique since I was doing it in my driveway!

I uploaded it to you tube so check it out if you are wanting to POP THAT PULLEY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGrC7a6SV3k

Toyota Supra lower Pulley bolt removal using the starter of your car. Pull the coil wire before doing this so your car won't start. Make sure you have the car in park for automatics or neutral for sticks! Make sure your breaker bar with socket is a six sided socket and the bar is long enough to be wedged onto the ground because your engine will push against the breaking bar loosening the bolt for you. The ground holds the bar for you while the engine breaks the grip of the bolt.

Sure beats the hell out of removing the starter and wedging wood into flywheel!

I went 45 minutes and back to the Toyota dealer today and they sold me the wrong crank seal. They claim the car has two down there, everyone else only lists one. I see no place where a second crank seal or timing cover seal is there or otherwise! ARGHHHHH!!! If I could get the parts I could do the damn job!~ I didn't want a timkin or whatever they are called from auto zone those seals are junk. They ordered me a Felpro seal with timing cover and water pump gaskets for damn near the same price! GRRRRRRR! I am getting very little done here when I should be done and driving it! GRRRRRR!!!

Still No timing belt from Auto Zone but the gave me a timing belt gasket set with crank seal for free for the inconvenience and threw in a tube of high temp RTV! Ended up raining the next two days anyway.

SUCCESS ON THE HELICOIL
: GOT that in and tight and knock sunk! So that is not a worry anymore. I was very nervous doing that. I used grease on the tap to trap as much metal as possible, vacuumed the cylinder out with a small hose taped into the end of my shop vac and carefully cleaned any Vaseline residue with chips from the hole and surroundings. I will blow it out with air and then finally turn the car over with the plug out to blow any final residue in there out!

I wish someone would have told me I had to remove the cam to change a valve spring or seals. What is the procedure for on the head torquing once you remove one cam? Loosen them all and then on reassembly torque it all down with new head bolts? Tomorrow are valve cover gaskets timing belt, crank seal and reassembly. My black car needs a new valve spring I think. Maybe I will have it started by tomorrow evening. If that damn timing belt comes in! Here are some more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	poppulley.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	3055   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover1.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	3061   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover2.jpg
Views:	453