View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #15
batmmannn
12psi boost

batmmannn is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks Cre

I am trying to take in your posts. The valve problem is on the Black Supra and the Dead stick or don't run after test drive is the red one.

Not having much luck with the red one, drained all the gas, put in fresh gas, changed 3 of the plugs because of the throttle body being in the way. Went to pull plug number 5 as you go back the engine. Its the nest to the last one that you have to use a wobble on or take that T shaped pipe off to reach.

I couldn't get a plug wrench on it no matter what I did so I took a flashlight crawled up in the engine bay and looked. The plug had rubber grommet all around it like a plug wrench rubber inset was trapped in there. I managed to dig it out with a flashlight and bent coat hanger in. Once I got a wrench on it I started to break it free but it does not want to come out. It turns with great effort so I am bumming here thinking that I have a stripped plug in the head. I didn't want to force it out and not be able to get another in so I left it there. Any ideas on what might be up with that plug? I hate to pull it out if it is cross threaded. I am better off leaving it in if this is the case and one plug won't stop it from starting.

Anyway, the Red Supra still will not start. I don't think I am getting any gas to the plugs. How do you test the fuel pump without replacing cause that cost over $170 and I would rather test it than spend the money and the time if it is not bad. I guess it could be the filter that is some $40.00 to buy but then again more money out the window and this thing might have a serious problem. I would have to pull the throttle body on this red one to do a compression test I guess I could do a test on 3 of the cylinders.

That rope trick sounds pretty cool. What are the keepers on the valve stem?
oK I found a you tube video for putting keepers on he talks about a special tool to push them in place do I need this special tool? Can it be done with a socket and hammer? I just called autozone they say they have a compression tester I can borrow tomorrow. What is the compression supposed to be around 140?

Also I find these plug wires problematic. I am having trouble getting the seated solidly on the plugs. I can't tell if their snapped in or not. Is there a trick to these as well? Also I am still confused about whether or not I should be able to hear the fuel pump back at the tank when you first turn on the key. Could you clarify that for me knowing that my car is not Turbo?

Looking on ebay I see fuel pumps for as low as $35.00 why is there such a discrepency in price? What can I get away with using?

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i0Zz5ecqlo

Thanks so much for your help, Scott

Last edited by batmmannn; 05-15-2010 at 10:50 PM.
batmmannn is offline   Reply With Quote