View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #35
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

So I re-read your thread, and saw you mentioning your distributor adjustment.

I think, since the car is running a little better, that now would be a good time to check your timing. I know that if one of your camshafts is just a tooth off, it will run similarly to what you're describing.

Remove the plastic upper timing cover, and verify that when the engine is at TDC on the compression stroke the 2 cam gear timing marks point straight up, inline with the raised line on the timing plate behind the cam gears. Also make sure your crank is pointed right at the 0 mark. If not, release the belt tension, slide the belt off the cam gears, and adjust as necessary.

Once that's all dialed in, replace your timing cover and idle the car up to operating temperature. You're gonna put a jumper wire in the diagnostic box (like you're checking for codes), hook up a timing light to the no.1 cylinder wire, and set your base ignition timing to 10? BTDC. Make your adjustments by loosening that dizzy bolt and turning it till it's set. Once dialed in, tighten the bolt, remove your jumper wire, disconnect the timing light, and go for a drive.

Let us know how it drives then

Oh, more detailed instructions on checking timing can be found in the TSRM
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote