Thread: Bhg
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 04:57 PM   #15
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbikeguy View Post
lol oh man. ive used a tap and dye before is this somewhat the same? and once i tap the holes i wont need bigger size bolts?
No, you'll use the stock size bolts. You're not tapping the holes any larger, you're tapping at their current size to just clear out material which has swelled and to reshape them so that the bolts can go in without any resistance which would skew the torque readings.

Make sure to THOROUGHLY lubricate the bolt threads with a good moly based lube. If you used moly lube prior (you should have, if you didn't there's major mistake #2) you can soften it up by massaging a little oil into it, but I'dd add some fresh grease too.

tighten in the correct order in multiple passes. I generally torque in 15 to 20 ft lb increments. First pass @ 30, second @ 45, third @ 60, fourth at 75. If I'm using studs I'll do it that way up to 90 (did last night in fact).

Quote:
wow so many questions. where can i buy this and how long does it need to be?
The tap length doesn't matter, but they're fairly standard. You want one the same size and pitch of the stock head bolts. A bottoming tap is even better but they're a lot more expensive. Unlike a taper they'll cut evenly all the way to the bottom, but it isn't critical here.

Buy or borrow or rent a machinist's straight edge and check the block and head for warpage as shown in the TSRM. Make sure the lower rear timing plate's deck does NOT sit any higher than the block's deck!!!! If it does it will keep the head from coming down all the way and evenly.

Quote:
and should i apply rtv to my bolts when i install them?
Absolutely not!
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote