View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I really think your problem was more likely due to other causes... contamination, internal leaking due to the slightly lighter viscosity of Dex III at lower temps or something along those lines... the more I read on this topic the more certain I am of it. Even Toyota calls for Dex III in place of Dex II..... and they'll probably call for the switch to Dex VI once III is declared obsolete.

There is a MASSIVE amount of info on all of this to be found through Google... more than I expected actually. What I've found boild down to this:

It's Dexron, not Dexton or Dextron and all Dexron formulae are GM's. GM superseded Dexron II (the ATF specified by Toyota for use in the A340E) with Dexron III and later are expected to supersede both with Dexron VI. Using anything else in place of these risks the introduction of emulsifying agents (makes it all gel and solidify) or creating a caustic environment (ie: you just mixed up a fresh batch of light acid), so be sure to read the datasheets THOROUGHLY to establish compatibility before you mix any transmission fluid. it only takes a couple drops in come cases. Chrysler's ATF+4 specification, for example, is "not compatible and may result in significant damage.". The original Dexron formula is also thoroughly incompatible with all others.

TQ-D is more of a middle ground between Dex II and Dex III, it isn't either but it is fully compatible with Dex II but does not meet Dex III's requirements. It appears that it's not available outside of Europe from what I've been able to find.

Shopping around online it appears that there aren't any manufacturers making a genuine Dex II ATF anymore... Of course I suppose that if a company was making it they couldn't legally use that designation as GM owns it and probably won't allow it to be used since it's a dead specification.

Dexron VI is supposed to perform MUCH better in cold weather environments due to an even more consistent viscosity than any other generation of Dexron.

Special thanks to: www.bobistheoilguy.com; jdub and his oil and lubricants section at www.supramania.com; www.google.com; www.castrol.co.uk; and Advil!
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote