3" Exhaust

matt1993supraTT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
To begin with, I'll let the '93.5 Mkiv Supra NCF speak for itself:
http://www.mkiv.com/specifications/ncf/ncf93/ncf171.jpg
http://www.mkiv.com/specifications/ncf/ncf93/ncf175.jpg
http://www.mkiv.com/specifications/ncf/ncf93/ncf177.jpg

I agree with you about the Trac system...it was a band-aid for guys that could afford the car but had no idea how to drive it safely. The MKIII Supra Turbo and the same model years of 300ZX were referred to as 'surgeon killers'. You'll find plenty of data online about how to tear this system out and replace it with something much more capable and road-track oriented (eg. RaceLogic).

However the ABS system is a completely different 'animal' than the oem traction control system. Wthout ABS, there's no way to (for example), efficiently both brake and accelerate through a chicayne to keep the turbos spun up. The component you referred to as "clutter" is a 4-way valve that allows the ABS computer to control braking force of each wheel independently. For a left hand turn while braking, the abs automatically proportions more braking force to the front right wheel. Let's see your manual proportioning valve do that! Again, this was cutting-edge technology in '93, and is one of the primary features of the car. The MKIV Supra TT's braking system makes the car much safer and much more capable in most drivers hands, under most driving conditions. Hopefully I've made the case that my perspective on this topic is significantly 'more than a feeling'. If not, we'll have to agree to disagree, as individuals.

As a moderator on this forum, I have to state my absolute disagreement with this modification, except for an exclusively-trailered dragstrip-only car. For street driving this modification is a safety hazard. Period.
I'll also restate this for emphasis: The Mkiv Supra Turbo's ABS system is one of the selling/reselling points that made it one of the greatest GT sportscars of the '90s.

Personally (fwiw), I'd never buy an Mkiv Supra Turbo with the ABS system removed. This car was designed to be highly capable on the street, and be roadrace-ready right 'out of the box'. With IRS, double-wishbone coilover suspension, beefy sway bars, and a cutting-edge ABS system with big 4-piston calipers, that design purpose is pretty obvious. To me, it's an interesting quirk that this car can also be modified to be quite fast on the dragstrip, but to me 20 minutes of roadracing is a lot more fun than 10 seconds of dragging. I don't mind watching drag racing, but I find myself at Road Atlanta more often. You should give roadracing a try!

well you've made your point very clear no doubt about that lol, no this was a bad on my part not searching for the for clear data or looking at the pros & cons of the system..i would love to run on road atlanta only track i've been on is jennings with the bike, but never at road ATL, i'd say for a auto car to road race would be hard love to find a paddle shift for it if theres even such a thing?
matt1993supraTT is offline   Reply With Quote