View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 04:53 AM   #9
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

I think the main reason you wouldn't want that stroker kit is because of the increase in piston velocity. By putting a longer stroke on the piston, it now has to move faster to cover the longer distance in the same period of time as before. Normally this would not be too big of a deal on many engines, but the M series engine has been modified 6 times already in terms of bore and stroke (hence the "7"M) and is already very near it's upper limits in stroke.

I know there was a thread on here around a year and a half ago that went into some detail about it, but I can't seem to find it now. If anyone else has that link, please share because I found it very informative.

Oh, another downside to that kit would be if the compression was increased. Higher compression should mean that it requires more effort to push the boosted air in the combustion chamber, resulting in less air being used and alot of wasted energy compressing it with the turbo.

With all of that said, I would think your route would be (in this order or very similar):

Aftermarket Radiator
New Vacuum Hoses
Better Brakes
New Struts or Coilovers
New Suspension Bushings (Sway Bar, Control Arm, etc.)
Upgraded Clutch
High Flow Air Filter
Aftermarket FMIC
Hard Pipe Kit for FMIC
Full 3" Exhaust
Lexus AFM
550cc Fuel Injectors
Aftermarket Boost Gauge (Factory gauge would be unreliable, and since your swapping from a 7MGE you'll need one)
Boost Controller

All of the above is assuming that you rebuilt your used 7MGTE, opted for a MHG and ARP Bolts/Studs, and use a high quality coolant / motor oil / transmission oil / differential oil

Don't know if all of that will get you 350hp or not, but IMO that should make for a very solid, very fun ride. Sorry there's no prices, I've never priced this build out before and everyone has their own brand preferences.
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote