View Single Post
Old 08-27-2005, 04:39 AM   #1
acousticrawk
Intake

acousticrawk is on a distinguished road

Isphius -
Lightening the mk3 supra....

Ok, I always see posts on this, so im making an official lightening the mk3 thread, built of all the other lightening threads. If you have anything at all to say about taking a few pounds of your supra, post it here. Ill start by stating my position on lightening the mk3

Everyone seems to want to take weight out of the back. Subs, spare tire, seats, rear interior, etc. This is where you want the weight. A powerful mk3 would probably cut some time off its 60 foot and quarter mile if you threw a bag of cement in the hatch. If you have a high powered mk3, someone pleaseeee try this for me. I would empasize taking weight out of the front, or at least the middle. Definatley get your battery relocated to the back, its not hard. take out whatever from under the hood you dont really need. I took ut my charcoal canister, cruise control, and a few other parts. Get rid of the a/c if you want, it totals about 20 lbs. Im also planning on cutting as much metal off the front end as possible using a rotozip. Im also going to make fiberglass mk3 fenders and hoods, and maybe other parts, with the intention of saving weight. What i strongly recomend, If you have money to spend, get an aluminum 1 piece driveshaft, lightweight fly wheel, and lighter small diameter wheels (15s), with small tires(low profile). This alone will give you a 10x bigger gain than most of the weight taken off the car. The smaller tires will shrink rotating weight, and increase your effective final drive. Another thing i would suggest doing is changing the seats to light weight racing seats, the mk3 seats are heavyyy. Also, pull the carpet up, and remove all the padding and sound deadening material. It is pretty dense and heavy. But all in all, the weight in the mk3 is actually well used. The car is very stiff, and it helps it handle and ride well in the real world. And as a disclaimer, I dont not guarantee that anything mentioned is safe, so do so at your own risk. /rant off!!!

Edit - post #911. Thats almost as bad-luck-ish as # 666!

acousticrawk -

"what can you do, besides cut the interior and get a carbon fiber hood? id like to cut 600 or more lbs....i know thats quiet the diet but anyone have ideas, i just wanna make sure i didnt over look something obvious or unobvious. thanks!"

- sorry for using your post, but i needed to have the first post as an explanation

Last edited by Isphius; 11-29-2006 at 09:44 AM.
acousticrawk is offline   Reply With Quote