View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftwmotorsports View Post
no havent tried cleaning anything yet.
Good.. DON'T! The AFM on the 7M-GTE is an optical unit, cleaning solutions tend to fog the optics and they're not user serviceable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftwmotorsports View Post
anybody else have any ideas? The strange thing about this is that when it dies after you boost, you can hear what sounds like a blow off valve coming back through the air filter. Sounds like the compressor surging in a sort, but its not the blow off valve, cause it will do it with it hooked up or unhooked. Also its not the idle air control, we unhooked it while it was running and blocked it, and I feathered the throttle to keep it going, while checking to see if the little orange valve in there was letting boost air creep by. Wasnt it. This thing has me baffled, and the customer is ready to get it back. Thanks for any help!

Ryan
A couple things. First off, half the people out there who run BOVs which are vented to atmosphere have issues with the car stumbling, backfiring and some have stalling issues. This is because the ECU is still expecting the air you just dumped to reach the engine so it's still delivering fuel. This can be tuned out with an aftermarket fuel controller. Oddly, the severity of this varies heavily from one car to the next.

Yes, the whistling sounds a lot like a severe boost leak.. check the usual suspects, this is routine... couplers, BOV, check valves (PCV system and ISC), and manifold gaskets... a leak somewhere further down the line can sound like it's coming from closer to the inlet ad the sound resonates through the piping.

Have you inspected the wastegate and made sure it's not stuck open?
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote