View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 06:23 AM   #15
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't say anyone would have issues with the alternator, just that the higher the load the greater the resistance... just stating a fact.

Yeah, 160's low... takes long enough to get my oil to operating temps as it is in my car. Why not just build an adjustable thermo switch?

EDIT: Of course as long if the thermostat were opening at the right temperature it really shouldn't matter if the fan came on early, at idle it will help provide airflow the engine bay would otherwise be missing out on (there are more things to cool than just coolant after all and heat soak sucks). Have you checked what temp the thermostat is opening at?

Well, I just keep adding to this.... By the way, neither an electric fan or a mechanical should really free up much power and any that is freed shouldn't be noticeable... except perhaps on a dyno where air isn't blowing through the rad on it's own. At higher speeds enough air moves through the radiator to move the fan without the fan being driven by anything else... no power needed at all when you're moving at any decent speed.

I don't care if anyone uses an electric fan as long as they do it right and have half a clue as to why they're actually doing it. I've thought about switching as my fan only has 3/4" of clearance between it and the rad... pulling either is a PITA with the fan cowl in there and one firm hit and they're both toast.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 01-15-2010 at 07:13 AM.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote