View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
braaaaawp88
Stock

braaaaawp88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Did you see the receipts... or any paperwork on the modifications?
Is the whole AC system ripped out, or is it just non-functional?
To me, this isn't a big deal, since you will probably upgrade to an aftermarket sound system if you regularly drive it.
The MKIV dash is a lot of labor to remove - be sure count that into your offer (of course, the cost of the dash itself is substantial as well!).
Another no-biggie to me, since most upgrade to aftermarket seats (eg. Sparco).
Like every auto restoration I've been involved with, it'll very likely take a lot more $ and time than you think to get it into the condition you envision. It has to be a 'labor of love', so I'd recommend against it if you're only in it for the $. Also, you'll need a daily driver while working on the Mkiv, so I hope your Impreza isn't your only car.
That, and that 76mm turbo - which has me a bit suspicious.
You absolutely MUST have a compression test done on the engine...preferrably a leakdown test too. That way nothing is left up to chance, assuming you keep using an appropriate octane of race fuel when you boost. Oh, and I'd recommend against running it at 18psi on 93 octane (as it states in the ad) until you verify the ignition map and the knock sensor logs.
Were maintenance records available?

It's still using the oem intake manifold, which is a no-no for a turbo that big.

The rear rims & tires are not wide enough to support 700+rwhp (even with Nitto 555 rubber). This car should be running 315s at a bare minimum. As-is, it'll probably just sit there and spin at the claimed 722rwhp (at 28psi & using c16).

Don't believe the claim of "900whp as it sits" unless you see a (reliable/verifiable) dyno printout.

Can he prove the nitrous system is functional? Why was it "never used"?

Which cams does it have (eg. 272s? 280s? etc.)?

With that fuel cell and external fuel pump, it's pretty much a track-only car (don't dream of taking this baby to work in rush hour traffic with those mods). Also, it'll be a gas guzzler with those 1600cc injectors.

Your modification/restoration goals for this car have to be crystal-clear. For example, do you want to convert it into something 'streetable' to maximize it's resalability? If so, at a minimum you'll need to replace the fuel tank and fuel pump system, fix the a/c problem, connect the speedometer, replace the dash and install a sound system. You'll also probably want to trim the fender lips and get wider rear rims & tires, upgrade the intake manifold, replace the seats, and possibly install some smaller fuel injectors with a slightly smaller turbo (eg. 71mm). After all that, you'll have a streetable and fun mkiv - which I hope you'll keep rather than resell!
Man thanks so much pwpanas, this was exactly what I was looking for.

Quote:
Your modification/restoration goals for this car have to be crystal-clear. For example, do you want to convert it into something 'streetable' to maximize it's resalability? If so, at a minimum you'll need to replace the fuel tank and fuel pump system, fix the a/c problem, connect the speedometer, replace the dash and install a sound system. You'll also probably want to trim the fender lips and get wider rear rims & tires, upgrade the intake manifold, replace the seats, and possibly install some smaller fuel injectors with a slightly smaller turbo (eg. 71mm). After all that, you'll have a streetable and fun mkiv - which I hope you'll keep rather than resell!
My main goal with the MKIV would be to buy it but then put it right back up for sale for a lower price and hopefully make some $. I know the Supra would be a blast to drive and that I would enjoy every minute of it until it 's sold, but yes it would be my only car and I am not sure how practical it would be. So i guess you would say my main goal would be to maximize it's resalability, but be able to drive it daily for at the most 6 months.

Quote:
Did you see the receipts... or any paperwork on the modifications?
All the parts were documented as far as whats on the car, but I guess you are saying to get some kind of proof that shows that the car was built and modded by redline performance?

Quote:
Is the whole AC system ripped out, or is it just non-functional?
Ripped out.

Quote:
The MKIV dash is a lot of labor to remove - be sure count that into your offer (of course, the cost of the dash itself is substantial as well!).
What about just patching the holes, the dash is in great condition besides that.

Quote:
That, and that 76mm turbo - which has me a bit suspicious.
What do you mean suspicious? Should I ask him to verify the claimed power?

Quote:
You absolutely MUST have a compression test done on the engine...preferrably a leakdown test too. That way nothing is left up to chance, assuming you keep using an appropriate octane of race fuel when you boost. Oh, and I'd recommend against running it at 18psi on 93 octane (as it states in the ad) until you verify the ignition map and the knock sensor logs.
Yes I was definitely gonna have a compression/leakdown test done now that I realize how important it is. How can I verify the ignition map and the knock sensor logs? I rode in the car with it on the 18psi setting and it seemed to run great. The only thing was that there was a little bit of smoke coming out of the exhaust on idle which he said was because he had to fill up from a station that had ethanol in the gas and the car didn't like that, and it was freezing outside.

Quote:
It's still using the oem intake manifold, which is a no-no for a turbo that big.
Okay this worries me, when you say no-no, are you implying that the car has not been modded correctly. If you could, could you please give me better detail about this?

Quote:
Can he prove the nitrous system is functional? Why was it "never used"?
Well he pointed out the button that activates it and the bottle in the trunk definitely looked hooked up, but as far as proofing it....I am unaware as to how he could do this without actually using it. He said it was "never" used because it was never needed. The car is such a monster that it is just unnecessary.

Quote:
Which cams does it have (eg. 272s? 280s? etc.)?
No idea, I will definitely ask. I am curious as to what the significance of knowing this is though, just for my own personal knowledge.

Quote:
With that fuel cell and external fuel pump, it's pretty much a track-only car (don't dream of taking this baby to work in rush hour traffic with those mods). Also, it'll be a gas guzzler with those 1600cc injectors.
Well I probably only drive about 25miles a day. How unrealistic would it be for me to drive it daily until I resell it, no traffic or anything like that. I was very curious about this, when you say "gas guzzler," how bad do you really think it is? With the pro shift kit with the 3 gear no clutch setup, what do you think my gas mileage would be if I drove really conservative at about 65mph???

I really appreciate the help pwpanas, thanks again.

Sincerely, John

Last edited by braaaaawp88; 01-05-2010 at 06:02 PM.
braaaaawp88 is offline   Reply With Quote