View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 01:32 AM   #7
mirage83
12psi boost

mirage83 is on a distinguished road

Exhaust manifold leaks aren't unknown on the 7M. In fact, if I remember correctly the relative softness of the head allows the EM studs to back/strip out eventually. That could well be the cause of your exhaust manifold leak. One of the better aftermarket Supra parts suppliers stocks a replacement stud kit for this, works like a charm and is under $100.

That leads to the question, are you certain the leak is at the manifold and not at the elbow or other gasketed joint? No matter where it is you'll want to fix it before you run it again or the exhaust gasses will start eroding & possibly cutting the surfaces, making sealing the thing back up difficult without some machining work.

You can get your turbo rebuilt for less if money is an overriding issue. There's a place in Canada I sent mine too a few years back, they did a good job on it for about $300. Blast Performance I think the name of the place was.

And don't let us talk you into or out of anything. We're simply making some observations and presenting our opinions and the reasoning behind them. Only you know your exact situation, how much time & money you're prepared to put into the car.
mirage83 is offline   Reply With Quote