View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green7mgte View Post
whats the downside to aftermarket air filters Mr. Fuhrer?
Not all filters are created equally. There are a LOT of reviews on the net which test them and show you their methodology... two which I trust are this one and the one over at bobistheoilguy.com... for which I cannot find the link at the moment. The top three on my list are (in order): Apex'i, AEM DryFlow, STOCK, K&N... the K&N is in the last place there as it filters worse than the first three and it is an oiled filter requiring maintenance (some have had troubles supposedly from the oil the filter is coated with damaging intake sensors... I think they've used too much, but I acknowledge the potential and as such I would only use one temporarily). The Apex'i and the AEM flow extremely well, are made of excellent materials and are 'essentially' maintenance free (you do need to blow them off with a compressor fro time to time, but no washing or oiling is required).

As for my complaint about the location.... air in the engine bay is HOT... hot air = power loss... PERIOD. A less restrictive filter that's sucking up air that is 20?+ hotter than you'd be getting through the stocker without the temperature spike more than costs you any potential benefit. I've seen people do their dyno tests with different filters, I have yet to see one where they do each and every run with the hood actually closed and no fan blowing into the engine bay.... besides, an increase of 5 to 10 HP is crap and honestly dyno test results will vary that much from one run to the next when tested back to back. Generally I ignore any dyno results posted in such tests; Now, if there's pressure differential information included they've got my attention.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->