Thread: Looking at a 88
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 02:55 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

'88 nonturbo is a 7M-GE.... unless it's a 1G-GEU, but i can't imagine anyone ever thinking that would be worth importing.

It's a 22 year old car, expect everything to be wrong... then be happy when only half is. Seriously though, the most common problem is a blown head gasket followed by rod knock (only when it's been abused, which unfortunately as a cheap sports car, many have been). You should also plan on spending money on suspension components, replacing leaking seals and other general items which suffer from age.

If you're wanting a turbo vehicle in the end I strongly recommend waiting until you find one already equipped with a turbo. The money you'll save by not having to do a swap can be put toward a rebuild and upgrades.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote