View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 02:38 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW View Post
My question was if a one piece drive shaft puts more stress on the differential and transmission than a two piece drive shaft, and maybe that is why Toyota uses a two piece drive shaft.
Well, it lessens the angle that the u-joints connect at by distributing the bend across 4 joints instead of two, thus lessening the load on the output shaft of the transmission and the input shaft of the differential. The only load it affects it the load on the bearings, if they're in good shape and the differential has the proper amount of preload the effect is negligible.

The Carrier bearing also dampens changes in torque and as a result causes some power loss... again, the effect is minimal. I went with a one piece because I'm a cheap SOB.

Quote:
As for aluminum versus steel, I agree that steel is much tougher than aluminum. I do not plan on adding HP to my stock motor, and the Aluminum shaft is the only stock one I saw, so I though aluminum would be tough enough for my application.
As I mentioned in the other thread, Jaws Gear and any decent drive shaft shop will make you one to order in whatever material you wish. Do keep in mind also that the lighter the mass the higher the frequency of any noise the driveshaft produces... more people complain of noise from aluminum drive shafts for a reason.

Quote:
Stress on the drive train from a one piece is my main concern, but it sounds like you do not see that as a problem.
Like I said, negligible.... BUT there is also the option of having a drive shaft shop build you a lighter two piece as well.

EDIT: Shorter shafts are more reliable, but more moving parts to maintain is the trade off.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote