View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 02:08 AM   #1
BillW
Stock

BillW is on a distinguished road
Post Driveshaft and center support bearing vibration

I have a vibration around 50-70 mph. I checked, and the center of the driveshaft has a 1/2" play in the center support bearing, so I think I need to replace the center support bearing. The bearing is $257 at horspowerfreaks.com. In the TSRM it shows some special service tools to get the driveshaft apart, to replace the bearing, so it seems like it might be a bit of work and difficult to replace the bearing.

Another option I see, is to replace the driveshaft with a one piece aluminum unit. Shaftmasters sells a complete, balanced, bolt-in driveshaft for $350. I'm wondering though, if a one piece driveshaft works, why did Toyota go throught the trouble of a two piece unit? I wonder if a one piece driveshaft puts more load on the u joints or the differential bearings.

What is the best way to go with this? Are there any other options to consider? I saw a used driveshaft on ebay for $100, but I'm thinking I may still have the vibration when I'm done. Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

BTW, I did have the wheels balanced and checked the wheel bearings for play so I am pretty sure the vibration is coming from the shaft.

Last edited by BillW; 12-13-2009 at 02:13 AM. Reason: add a thought
BillW is offline   Reply With Quote