View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
2Fast2Furious
3" Exhaust

2Fast2Furious is on a distinguished road
Default TOP END is only 200 kph / 124 mph

All I can get out of my '89' 3L Turbo is

124 mph or 200 kmh (sorry the title states 142, I mean 124)

there is no tuning - just plain OEM.

Surely this is not right. Could it be something to do with UK Spec cars having a restrictor.

EDIT: My car is UK Spec and so shouldn't have restrictor maybe some UK members can enlighten me on this matter. I found the following info on http://www.btinternet.com/~netsurf/mr2t/mr2tfaq.html

Speed Restrictor:
In Japan there is a legal requirement for all cars to have a speed limiter at 180 km/h, which is equivalent to 112mph. Most Turbo owners report a top speed restricted to approximately 5,250 rpm in 5th gear (about 125mph), and is said to be based around cutting the spark to the engine.
The speed limiter can be removed, and amongst other companies Intech (see above) will do it for approximately ?180 + VAT, or this can be done as part of a Unichip ECU chip upgrade, which typically costs around ?380 + Fitting.
Note: Many owners report that a side effect of having a speed delimiter fitted is that the Power Assisted Steering can become over-light, as the car thinks it is traveling at a lower speed than it actually is. (This is because the speed signal is also sent to the PAS ECU, and is used to judge the amount of steering assistance to be given)
Any removal of the speed restrictor may require a subsequent change of speedometer, as it is reported that the needle will hit the bottom of the dial at about 120mph, and some owners have had problems with needles sticking there !

It sounds like it might be fitted with a restrictor. Its a Turbo and speedometer stays around the 125mph mark. It definately is only doing 124/5mph and is not that the speedometer hasn't been changed after the restrictor was taken off as described above.

Sure the top end of Golf GTI is 145mph. I know it is much lighter car though.

Last edited by 2Fast2Furious; 12-07-2009 at 01:37 PM.
2Fast2Furious is offline   Reply With Quote