View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 02:41 AM   #68
cvbikeguy
3" Exhaust

cvbikeguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
I very strongly recommend you find a complete MKIII with turbo from the factory... A GE-T build isn't the easiest/most reliable thing; There's a lot you're going to need otherwise and you'll be piecing things together for a while. (trust me on this )

If you are still interested in going GE-T aka N/A-T then read through this thread:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34560

My car is a N/A-T. I'm running a stock 7M-GE with a stock CT-26 turbo, custom full flow oil cooler with thermostat, 7M-GE electronics with a MAFT Pro for fuel, timing and boost control and AFM deletion, LC-1 wideband (for tuning and open loop AFR tracking via the MAFT Pro), and a matched set of injectors (less than .5% variance on average; actually, they're rated 520cc/min at 45psi but I'm running closer to the stock fuel pressure). I'm running a stock composite HG with ARP head bolts torqued to 75ft lbs. I'm still running on the W58 (I don't expect it to last too long).

All in all I've got a lot invested in just the conversion.... then there's the supporting mods and maintenance.

There are a lot of people who think "Oh, I'll just mount the turbo, swap injectors and add an intercooler."; sadly, their setups don't often last... sometimes they do, but I think that's more a matter of luck.

I don't expect my setup to last more than a few years. If/when it does die I'll either buy a complete GTE and swap over what I want to keep; Or I'll move on completely and put the MKIII behind me.

Oh, I'm not walking you through this.... I'm just bored...
haha yea ive been reading that forum non stop since your last post.my head is going to pop. i knew it wasnt going to be a simple bolt on but i figure it would be better since im going to have a rebuilt motor. and yea like you were saying i was going to do this until it gives then just buy a completed gte and rebuild that. the only thing is i should figure this out now before i start putting the whole car back together. i think i can afford it but the shop has already worked on the block so i cant just ditch then get a full gte. so its either...

keep it N/A and thow pointless mods in it? or...
turbo it and make sure its done right and baby it to hell so nothing blows?
cvbikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote