View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
MA70-3.0GT
12psi boost

MA70-3.0GT is on a distinguished road

Oh, one thing I did mean to mention. When I came to remove the cambelt I noticed that it's been running towards the back of the cam pulleys i.e. right on the back edge, and when I look down at the oil pump pulley it's actually been running OFF the back of this by about 1/8".

What would cause the belt to run to the back, tensioner bent? (all new kit in there from previous build) and why is the oil pump pulley not dead in line with the cam pulleys?

Also is the 7M-GTE an interference engine? (if the belt broke would I bend valves?) If not then I'll re-use the belt as it's a Gates item & has done nothing, otherwise if a breakage would wreck the valves then I probably won't risk it & pull the crank pulley off now...

Cheers, Dan.

EDIT-: So it seems there's no "magic" easy way of pulling the turbo off the manifold then, just struggle with the 4 bolts? I've got 3 of them but the lower front one is a complete PIG to get at isn't it?... Oh well, I was going to cheat & just loosen the manifold & turbo oil pipe together & tie the assembly back out the way, but the heat shield bolts on the mani' won't undo with an open ended spanner & a ring won't fit with the turbo in situ. Oh well, I'll just have to do it properly

'89 Honda NC27 400, NC23 cams, open pipe, PC36a shock & possibly Showa USD forks...

'83 Yamaha 29R XJ750E-II, number 69 off the line, only runner in the country? Original except Koni shocks

'95 Honda PC26 CB500R, Winter hack, hateful, trying to sell it
I'm not paranoid, they really ARE after me!!!

Last edited by MA70-3.0GT; 12-03-2009 at 04:27 PM.
MA70-3.0GT is offline   Reply With Quote