View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 01:51 AM   #2
Krem
3" Exhaust

Krem is on a distinguished road

millimeters are pretty big measurements when dealing with engine internals... I've read posts where fractions of a millimeter are removed from the head and/or block... leaving room to make up for if you desire the correct compression. If you just throw a 2mm gasket on the block, I'm pretty sure you're going to change the volume within the head significantly and therefore change your compression ratio. I'm not sure if it's required, but usually trimming the head and/or block, or throwing in a stroker kit seems to address this a little better (from what I've read, open for any corrections that may benefit my knowledge and inform the OP otherwise)

I've always understood gaskets to be made of fairly cheap, almost cardboard like, material.. not aluminum or metal. The metal head gaskets are less likely to blow, but really not necessary unless you're putting out a lot of power.

Milky oil won't be in the oil cap, it'll be in the oil pan... easiest checked with a dipstick after the vehicle's been parked and sitting for some time (overnight) and the engine block is cold and fluids are uncirculated. I've also been told white smoke is usually a sign of coolant entering the cylinder and being burned off with the fuel.. which might be where the smell is coming from. However, given what you've mentioned, it really sounds more of an issue with timing than cooling or a BHG... properly timed engine should not idle rough and a poorly timed engine will be fairly sluggish.. you can also pull the plug wire for spark plug #6 and see if it has any moisture or oil. If I read and remember correctly, this is typically a sign of bad valve seals.

I know I'm not very knowledgable in cars yet, just applying logical analysis... so hopefully another poster can confirm or correct my statements and help point you in the right direction as well. Good luck, would like to know the end result once you find it.

Last edited by Krem; 12-02-2009 at 01:54 AM.
Krem is offline   Reply With Quote