View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #12
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I missed the vibration issue before... There are several possibilities but the list gets smaller when you say that it is speed and not gear specific.

The first thing I would check is (as MA suggested) the wheels, have them balanced and checked to make sure the wheels aren't warped.

Get the alignment checked too. Even if the car goes straight it doesn't mean everything is aligned well.

Next, check the carrier bearing in the canter of the drive shaft for excessive play... I don't what's acceptable play in this bearing, mine had over 1/2" of play so I completely ditched it and got a one piece drive shaft. The carrier bearing seems to be one of the more common causes of speed related vibration.

If this is fine try to see if there's much play in the output shaft of the transmission (a hard to test this conclusively with the transmission still assembled, but it's worth trying to check).

Then, check for play in all of the suspension and steering related ball joints and check all the other suspension bushings.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote