View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I was just waiting for more info or something... just hit me as more of a "look what I have" thread when it's already been shown. I just think people need to step it up a bit in this group...empty threads like this make for poor reference as there is no text (hence no key words) for a future user to have much luck finding it and also the fact that most newbies have no idea what the EGR system is or what it does or why you'd remove it.

E.G.R. = Exhaust Gas Reticulation system. The EGR is an emissions control device with a nice bonus; It's used to cool the engine and thus reduce NOx emissions. The EGR system is only active at part throttle driving (not at idle and not at WOT) and as such does not affect power output at loads of around 70% or higher. While it doesn't affect things at WOT it does help coold the engine back down more quickly when you come back off of it. It's a popular device for people to remove either for cosmetic reasons (as is the case in two-step-n's build, which isn't mentioned here) or just due to the false belief that it will net them more power. In newer vehicles the system is also temperature controlled to ensure that the exhaust gasses are just the right temp to do the job.

Honda has been using an aggressive EGR type of system for decades now as a means of boosting their fuel economy. As the EGR system dumps inert gasses back into the engine it effectively reduces the engine's overall displacement. Take a 3 liter engine, add one liter of inert gas and BAM! you're now running a more fuel efficient two liter.... but only until you floor it. Sadly, the system doesn't move enough gas in our vehicles to help out in a big way with the mileage thing.

The most common issue that people have with the EGR system is that the actuator or the vacuum diaphragm will stick, leaving the system open. This can cause problems with the vehicle at idle and will most certainly result in power loss at higher loads when it should otherwise be shut off. **It can also be a big annoyance to work around if you're constantly servicing the engine as in the case of a race car.

And here's a Toyota technical article about it if you want more in depth reading:
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h61.pdf
cre is offline   Reply With Quote