Thread: idle issue
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
MA70-3.0GT
12psi boost

MA70-3.0GT is on a distinguished road

Hi, thanks for the reply. I've had a look & listen now & theres no MIL showing (can't recall if it came on with ignition as I was a bit preoccupied trying to shut the alarm up once the battery was on!)

I wasn't aware that tickover was a slang or colloquial term to be honest, it means idle, engine running with no throttle, not sure how else to describe it...

Anyway, the car won't start unless you hold the throttle open & when it does it runs very rich. Sometimes it will stay running with no throttle if you let it off real slow but most times it just cuts out below about 2500rpm. When it is idling/ticking over or whatever it runs very rough & lumpy with a lot of misfiring & black smoke from the exhaust, however once it's given a bit of right foot the motor picks up nicely & runs pretty smoothly above 2500/3000rpm.

Whatever the fault is, I've heard it running now & I'm happy that the engine's mechanically sound so now I just have to convince the guy that he wants my Pajero in exchange!

EDIT-: meant to say, it's had the AFM replaced with a secondhand one & then an NOS part which hasn't cured anything. For what it's worth I think changing the old looking plugs/leads etc is going to help, maybe the injectors could do with an ultrasonic bath too since it's been sat for quite a while.

Last edited by MA70-3.0GT; 10-31-2009 at 02:25 PM.
MA70-3.0GT is offline   Reply With Quote