View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
jvginpdx
Stock

jvginpdx is on a distinguished road

I am in the middle of doing this myself on a 1990 cressida. I purchased an engine from enginesus.com They replace the head gasket and surface the head as well. Since I know about the BHG, I checked their torque settings on the head bolts. they were at 72, the correct setting. I got a set of ARP head studs, and replaced each one, one by one. First torqued to 72, then to 85-90, as ARP reccomends. Since all the seals are now 20 years old, I went to E-bay, and bought an Eristic engine seal set for about 50 bucks from a vendor in California. The head gasket might not be of the highest quality, but it was not crap either. Since my head gasket was replaced by enginesus, I did not use the head gasket. The other gaskets and seals in the set appeared to be of good quality. I replaced the front and rear main seal. I purchased a timing belt set from another vendor and installed that, along with a new water pump. I checked the main and rod bearings with Plastigage, all were within tolerance, so I left them in. Considering that rod bearings are only 50 bucks or so, I could/should have replaced them. I adjusted the clearances in the cam shims. I used some or the shims from the old engine. The engine mounts were not on the engine, but I noticed that some of the fuel injection lines were in a different spot than on the cressida, so I just moved the stuff from the old engine to the new one. The oil pan and oil pump were different, so i used my old ones. I bought the FIPG from Toyota, and installed the oil pan.
jvginpdx is offline   Reply With Quote