Thread: Burning Oil
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2004, 11:13 AM   #2
Roger UK

Further to my original message last night , I have just spoken to the Engineers . . . . . they have done a compression check and think the Head Gasket is fine.

They seem to think it's the PCV System that is sucking oil into the inlet manifold and therefore causing the oil consumption & subsequent smoke. They say there's lots of wet oil inside the Inlet Manifold where the PCV hose attaches. They were also asking me if there's some kind of valve inside there that might be faulty - it's hard to see, and my Haynes Workshop Manual doesn't refer to any kind of valve in the PCV system . . . .

However, I am aware (from this Manual) that there are lots of small differences to these 7M-GE engines between 86 and 93 . . . . . My original engine is late 1990 . . . . although the secondhand engine was either an automatic or an import, as the garage who did the original fit had to swap lots of bits over, including the distributor etc.

Any thoughts guys? Could the PCV system cause the burning oil . . . and what could be wrong to cause this?!!!