View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
oregonjoe
3" Exhaust

oregonjoe is on a distinguished road
Default Long time

I've owned my 90 Supra for 20 years. Owned a 86 Supra for 4 years before that.

Never had a single problem till last month when it blew its HG. Before that drove it every day with out a problem.

Doing a full engine rebuild now so I can have it another 20 years.

If your vehicle hasn't had a HG replacement then it probably going to need one. The problem is that if HG symptoms have been there awhile, when you go to fix it - there will be a lot more to do.

Good news is that even after 20 years the valves, cams, pistons, crank were still good. Inline 6's ware much better then V's

If you want good reliable transportation for school that will not cost a lot - get a bike. If you want something that looks cool and drives great keep the SUPRA.

Actually - I was faced with the same problem when I went to collage – owned a little British sports car in high school that took all my money – but hey, I was living at home. The month before I left for school it blew an engine and I had to sell it. Used a bike for 2 years after that. When I did graduate and got a job I bought a Supra. However, to this day, I still wish I had that British car.

So my advise to you is – mothball the project car, wait till your out and making money and then restore it.
oregonjoe is offline   Reply With Quote