View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
Dan Swanson
Stock

Dan Swanson is on a distinguished road
Default srzsmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by srzsmack View Post
im certain the head gasket has been replaced. whats with this crank pulley idea.. is it common? and also if i did find the right bearings would i be fine cuz all im trying to do is make it last long enough since im ready to do an engine swap if it really is that bad. like i said it wasnt knocking until i drove it home and there definatley was oil and the pressure was fine. i took it to my mechanic and he said yeah that sounds exactly what a spun rod bearing sounds like. im really curious about this whole crank pulley thing now.

Tony gave you good advice. Regarding the crank pulley. I have an '87 MKIII, n/a. I have replaced the crank pulley three times in less than 150K miles. I bought the Supra with 38K miles. The the first time I bought a new pulley and bolt and had to run a tap into the crank to repair thread damage. Red Loctite was used on the bolt threads and properly torqued. It came lose again and agaim the third time I had to have the front of the crank welded and grounded down..

I wished I had a clue why all the trouble? The sound with a loose pulley is like the sound of a rod knock or even a cracked crank.

If you do not have one you need buy Toyota Supra Repair Manual. I am not sure if the TSRM calls for Loctite or a thread lock on the bolt or not.

Be sure and refer to all torque specs when performing service. If you over tighen you could easily end up with broken bolt. Then you have more truoble.

Good luck .

Dan Swanson

Last edited by Dan Swanson; 08-22-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Dan Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote