View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 03:18 AM   #5
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

With the system I had made, I was producing quite a bit of HHO gas... However I had cooling problems with my system, and have since abandoned the idea.

The unit I designed was of an alternating plate design, drawing a current of 40-50 amps, with the water mix reaching an automatically maintained temperature of 165 degrees. On a bench test, I was able to consistently produce large amounts of gas, had an electric pump automatically switch on to cycle the water mix out of the unit and through a universal oil cooler to cool it down. This worked great on the bench, however the unit failed in all real world road tests. The pump would not switch on soon enough, thus allowing the mix to heat up too much, resulting in a large current draw blowing the safety fuse. I believe the reason for this was because I could not find a suitable thermoswitch to cycle on the pump, as the one I was using was a surface-mounted one off of a water heater. I would assume a thermoswitch that was in contact with the water would be much more effective, and likely result in the proper operation of the system.

Keep in mind HHO gas is VERY flammable, as I witnessed first hand in my safety tests. Every time I ignited the vapors there was an almost instant explosion up to the safety devices I had in place. My first unit exploded in it's first ignition test, would hate to see what would have happened if it was in a car at the time...

One word of advice, I noticed that the "flow-through" systems seem to be much safer and efficient. This system utilizes a vacuum line before the throttle body as well as one after it, allowing the engine to suck air through the unit and into the combustion chamber. This way you don't have to rely on the build up of HHO gas and pressure to force itself into the engine.

If you'd like more info on my efforts in HHO units, let me know. I feel like I've already made too long of a post on this thread, haha...
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote