View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
oregonjoe
3" Exhaust

oregonjoe is on a distinguished road
Default 7MGE Engine rebuild

So it finally happened, after almost 20 years my 1990 Supra blew its head – just as forecasted. My wife has been driving the car lately and tells me it has been using water at a gallon a week for the past few months. Past few months?? I reply, it should never need water I inform her. So I go out to look under the hood and old coolant is everywhere. Start the engine and water explodes out the radiator like a volcano. Turn the car off and sounds of steam from within the block.

Yup – just like most Supra owners, signs of a blown head gasket. Pull the spark plug on the No. 6 cylinder and it’s the same color as the coolant confirming my suspicion.

Now, I’ve been reading the Toyota forums because I’ve just replaced the timing components on my 94 4Runner and they were a great help. I even started a rebuild on another 4Runner when this happens. After discovering the Supra forum I figure I could lend my experiences here and perhaps get some guidance.

I have rebuilt several engines, mostly Chevy blocks. Since this car is 20 years old, I’ve decided to do a full rebuild from the ground (oil pan) up. I am going to pull the engine and try to document my adventure here with as many pics as possible as I have found them very useful an all the other forums. I have garage to work in and some fiends with lifters and tools so I can take my time.

Of course always willing to take advise as well as give some. Stay tuned.
oregonjoe is offline   Reply With Quote