View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
mirage83
12psi boost

mirage83 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcastro View Post
the stock oilpresure gage reads a lil under the first line close to 0 so i know thats bad it use to read like at 40 as for the barings i used standerd size and im srry to ask but what are wrist pins and where are they located
Oh, that's not good.

Standard size rod and/or main bearings are almost certain to be undersized on a well-used engine. That's probably where your knock is coming from, but without a good inspection and check of the entire bottom of your engine it's impossible to know for sure. You needed a machinist at a reputable shop (if you don't have the experience to do it yourself) to mic everything out to see what size bearings are called for according to the amount of wear and tear on your crank, rods, etc. Putting incorrect sized bearings in just sets you up for rebuilding the bottom half again.

Incorrectly sized bearings could well account for your oil pressure problem.

The wrist-pins I mentioned are the pins which hold your pistons to the rods. A worn pin can cause all sorts of nasty sounds, and if it gives way entirely you can pretty much kiss the piston goodbye and more than likely the rod too.
mirage83 is offline   Reply With Quote