View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 02:06 AM   #1
Kevin
3" Exhaust

Kevin is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Car overheats after driving on freeway for about a hour.

My 87 turbo overheats when i drive on the freeway for about an hour. it seems like coolent is coming out the overflow and all over the intercooler. I drove it back to my mechanic and he said the radiator was leaking. so he replaced the rad and the thermostat. i told him i think it might be the head gasket. he said that it shouldnt be because there should be tons of white smoke coming out the exhaust. so i let him be since hes the expert and im not. i took it back on the freeway... and sure enough after about an hour... the temp started climbing up again. up to max. so i pulled into a gas station. carefully removed the rad cap and added 2 litres of coolent. i lost a bunch out of the overflow again... it was all over the intercooler. after adding the coolent. it was back down to normal temp again. I drove it back to him and said it overheated again. i said i really think its a bhg. he said he'd take a closer look. the next day i called him up and he said he fixed the problem. i asked him wat was wrong. he said a bunch of things i could barely understand him because the phones were fuzzy. but he said that he ran it for over 3 hours and it was fine so it is all good. i am not sure if he actually drove it at freeway speeds though. i have a feeling that he just idled it for 3 hours. what do you think i should do because i need to drive it 4 hours.. cuz i live 400km or 250 miles away. i was thinking about just giving it a shot and try to take the car home.. if it overheated again i'd pull into a gas station.. let it cooldown a bit and add more coolant. the problem seems to be losing coolant. the oil isnt milky and there doesnt seem to be oil in the coolant. i dont wanna tow it cuz i dont have that kinda money. any suggestions? And sorry for the long ass write up.
The car drives around town just fine. just overheats at freeway speeds.

Last edited by Kevin; 05-09-2009 at 02:08 AM. Reason: add more detail, spelling
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote