View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
BAN WS6
Stock

BAN WS6 is on a distinguished road

I don't know why some people like to give American cars such a bad rap. I literally just created my profile on here and happened upon this thread. I own a Trans Am WS6, 2001. I'm not going to argue about claims of metric over SAE being more accurate, don't really know for sure don't really care. But calling all American cars junk is just untrue, it all has to do with how they're maintained. There have been a few flops but you can't say all American rides are junk based on a few bad examples. I've got a 93 GMC truck with over 200,000, bone stock, and still going real strong. I had a Bonneville that lasted about a week due to the ass before me not changing the oil as needed. My wife's grandfather has an old Toyota truck that went to 300,000 miles before any major problems. I also know a guy that has a Corolla that went about 50,000 before he started having major problems. Of course he road the living piss out of it every day he drove it. It all has to do with how you treat your vehicles. F-Bodies are great handling cars but as for drifting they can be a bit heavy. I've tried drifting my WS6 and it can be done, can be a little goosey coming out of the drift though. I've never driven a Supra but have lots of experience with Pony cars like Camaros and Trans Ams. If you're talking about a 3rd Gen F-body with a 350 TPI, they're respectable but not really that fast. Handling is good though and handle even better with some minor upgrades. If you go with a 4th Gen F-Body definitley get one with an LT1 or an LS1. The LT1 makes a bit more torque stock but are heavier and don't respond nearly as nicley on the top end as an LS1. Stay away from the V6 models unless you plan on turbo charging it or supercharging it, they just don't make enough horsepower. If you have the means and go the Trans Am route get one with an LS1, great horsepower from the start, respond well to mods, lots of parts for them out there, and are just plain FAST. Stock my WS6 ran mid 12's with tires, had a top end of 169, and still handled well, despite that added weight from all the leather and power seat options. Hope I helped out some with that, I can't testify to the Supra side of things, haven't driven one yet. Good luck with the search. Any further questions about them I'll be happy to answer, I've owned a 83 Trans Am and a 78 Camaro Z28 as well, so I know a bit from experience.

By the way, I'm not in here to stir up shit. In the past I've definitely been a muscle/pony car guy. I only just joined this forum to collect information on Supras. I'm thinking of starting a new project and am leaning heavily to the tuner route instead of muscle. I have a great respect for all cars unless a certain manufacturer has repeatedly put out garbage vehicles.
BAN WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote