View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
jhealey1967
Stock

jhealey1967 is on a distinguished road
Default Clutch & Pressure Plate—Interchangeable b/t years and W55/W58?

Hopefully this is not offensive to Supra owners, but I figured there was no better place to ask than a group of Supra experts. I am putting a W55 or W58 transmission out of a Supra, Celica, or Toyota pick-up truck, behind a Jaguar V12. I have a custom bellhousing, but need to determine what clutch to use. I am also looking for a suitable gearbox; I have looked at a few locally that I found on Craigslist for sale, from various vehicles (Supras, Celicas...W55's, 58's, etc.) and have noticed that the gear shift lever comes out in very different places on every single one I've looked at. I understand that some come out exactly 18" from the front of the gearbox mounting (where the bellhousing mates up), and this is what I need for my conversion. Does anyone know which gearbox, and from which year/model, has the gearshift lever up close, right above the shifter lid? Here is an example of what I am looking for:

Also, regarding the interchangability of clutch and pressure plates...Will all the various years of the "W" transmissions interchange in terms of the fitment of clutch/pressure plate? I imagine the most important aspect here is the splines on the input shaft. Are they all the same? I notice that as far as part numbers are concerned, there is a great variety of specified clutches and pressure plates between the years and models, however I would suppose that is due to different clamping forces of the pressure plates, dependent on the torque of the engine it is mated to. I am considering a clutch and pressure plate from a 87-92 Supra turbo model, as I think it would be well suited the the V12, which has similar torque, horsepower, and redline specs as the turbo Supra. If I were to use a transmission out of, let's say, an '84 Toyota pick-up truck, or an '89 Celica, would the Supra turbo clutch work with said transmission?

Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated.
jhealey1967 is offline   Reply With Quote