Thread: Oil pan leaking
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
tsupranami
Intake

tsupranami is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I'd check the valve covers for leaks. Super common on these motors. If you can turn any of the screws holding the covers down, it is probably leaking and wont seal very well even if you tighten up the screws. New gaskets w/rubber compression washers should fix it for a few years.

"Replace EM with high performance stainless manifold, it has a leak now anyway."

FYI: the exhaust studs commonly strip out of the soft aluminum head, causing exhaust leaks at the manifold/head area. Heli-coil all the stud holes in the head before fitting the new manifold, or it will likely just rip any remaining threads out of the head when you torque it down. $45 for a full helicoil kit at most auto stores.

Also, unless I'm missing something, most SS EM's are for T4 style turbos not CT26. Are you planning on a new turbo, too? I picked up a brand new cast manifold from Toyota for $160. With a little porting it'll flow over 400rwhp with the right setup, holds heat in better, fits perfectly, and almost never cracks unless abused.

I actually bought my "other" motor ($200 w/turbo) from a guy who thought it would be easier to replace the entire engine with a used jap motor rather than fix his stripped exhaust studs. OK?! Now his 'new' engine has started to lose exhaust bolts and leak exhaust. Go figure.

Other than that, it sounds like you have a pretty easy project ahead and are on the right track. Good luck!
89 Turbo Targa 5spd, 18x10 w/275/35/18, 18x9 w/245/40/18, Brembo CD rotors, Hawk pads, SS lines, HKS coilovers, ST sways, 1 pc. AL DS, V3 shifter, RPSmax PP w/HPF ferramic disk, custom crank, Eagle Rods, JE pistons, Ferrea valves, BC 264 cams, Fidanza cam gears, Walbro FP, AFPR, RC660 inj., Blitz SUS, Lexus AFM, SP 47trim CT26, HKS SSQ BOV, 2.5" AL IC pipes/FMIC, Lipp turbo elbow, RT DP, Greddy SP catback, HKS FCD, AEM Uego WB, Apex'i SAFC, Apex'i AVCR, EGT, Fluidyne AL rad, Flexalite fans.
tsupranami is offline   Reply With Quote