View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 01:04 AM   #2
Busted Knuckles
12psi boost

Busted Knuckles is on a distinguished road

I read the entire post, and have just a few question to clear things up.

You mentioned the oil leak, and a rear main seal is a common leak on a car with this many miles and age. But, how do you arrive at bad piston rings? Do you get a lot of smoke out of the tailpipe? Are the plugs getting oil fouled?

And now, for some advice.

Sorry to hear about the rust. Once it starts, it is hard to stop it from spreading. This will be expensive to arrest it all together. Very labor intensive. If rebuilding the engine is more than your willing to do, drive it until the wheels fall off. You got way more value out of the car than you paid for. It will be very expensive to make this car worth any real value, and you'll never get that money back out of it. Sorry to say, but not all cars can last forever.

Unless you want to spend the money to repair the '85, keep it for parts until your ready to part with the the '82. Engine work alone would cost you $2500 or more if the block is ir-repairable. If you can store it for a while, selling it in parts will get you more than you paid for it. I did this for a month on a parts car I purchased to keep my '88 MK III working. But, I had to get rid of it quickly because of local ordinances. Got rid of it as soon as I got the purchase price out of various parts.
Busted Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote