View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 05:12 PM   #12
Chambers
walbro fp

Chambers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraduper View Post
not sure what your stying to say. the wording was kind of weird...

but from what i gather, your implication is that maybe the knock is due to the fact that i replaced my own head gasket.... im not inclined to think thats the case... as i asked the kid i bought it from if it had a noise before the head gasket blew, he said yes..

but dont get me wrong, i may be a mechanic but i definitely did a sub par job when doing the work... as i rushed it and just was stupid.... i cleaned the gasket area on the block with rags in the cylinders and all that good stuff but when i removed the rags there was some debris in the cyl walls and some fell down to the piston ring area... i didnt have any compressed air, so i threw it back together, knowing what the consequence could be... and now it burns oil.... im pretty sure i smoked the rings..

but in truth im ok with that, as i bought the car for 400 and didnt want to perform a full rebuild without knowing what kinda of condition the engine is in... so i figured i was going to re-ring and replace the bearings at a later time if the engine was good...but if this noise really is a rod knock then that would likely make it more reasonable to buy a new engine and swap it out.... and surely it would be a bonus to go to a turbo engine

Na, what I mean is that it may just be a matter of time before one of our engines finally go, Then we may find out what that knock is by some one taking their engine apart. I have no reason to put you down, and if it seemed like I did then I apologize. This past October was my first head gasket, I had no special tools or air to blow all the crud out of the cylinders as well, I just cleaned it as best as I could. Not trying to offend anyone, sorry bout that.

1986.5 Toyota Supra - NA - 5 spd
1986 Ford Ranger Lowrider - 5 spd
1984 Ford Ranger XLT - 7" Lift - 4X4 - Auto
"Stuck in the 80's"
Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote