View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #11
supraduper
Stock

supraduper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
Well I guess its a question of time and who, then we may decipher what this knock is by that someone re-building there engine. lol. Hate to have it that way but thats the way its looking to be, but hey, as long as it still runs why complain.

Good luck.

not sure what your stying to say. the wording was kind of weird...

but from what i gather, your implication is that maybe the knock is due to the fact that i replaced my own head gasket.... im not inclined to think thats the case... as i asked the kid i bought it from if it had a noise before the head gasket blew, he said yes..

but dont get me wrong, i may be a mechanic but i definitely did a sub par job when doing the work... as i rushed it and just was stupid.... i cleaned the gasket area on the block with rags in the cylinders and all that good stuff but when i removed the rags there was some debris in the cyl walls and some fell down to the piston ring area... i didnt have any compressed air, so i threw it back together, knowing what the consequence could be... and now it burns oil.... im pretty sure i smoked the rings..

but in truth im ok with that, as i bought the car for 400 and didnt want to perform a full rebuild without knowing what kinda of condition the engine is in... so i figured i was going to re-ring and replace the bearings at a later time if the engine was good...but if this noise really is a rod knock then that would likely make it more reasonable to buy a new engine and swap it out.... and surely it would be a bonus to go to a turbo engine
supraduper is offline   Reply With Quote